Farmers issue: Congress defends Rahul`s claims
Varanasi: The Congress Wednesday defended party general secretary Rahul Gandhi`s claim of 74 mounds of ash containing human remains having been found in Bhatta Parsaul village of Greater Noida and asked the Uttar Pradesh government to order a probe.
"We stand by every word Rahul Gandhi has said," party leader Digvijay Singh, who is here for a two-day Congress conclave, told a news channel.
Singh`s comments came after the Uttar Pradesh government said Rahul Gandhi`s claims were false.
"What he has said is on the basis of his stay in that village, consultations with the farmers, people from that area, this is what I am saying. If the chief minister (Mayawati) is so sure of what she has said, then she should order an investigation," Singh said.
The state`s ruling Bahujan Samaj Party had refuted Rahul Gandhi`s claim calling it "baseless" Tuesday.
Rahul Gandhi Monday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh with some farmers and handed over pictures of burnt bodies, ashes with bones and ransacked houses in Bhatta Parsaul. He also said the state government had committed rapes and other atrocities on local people. Bhatta Parsaul was hit by violence following a clash between the Uttar Pradesh government and farmers over land acquisition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened