Farmers protest new sugarcane pricing
New Delhi: Hundreds of sugarcane farmers from western Uttar Pradesh today staged a demonstration in the city to protest the new sugarcane pricing and procurement
policy announced by the government.
Holding sugarcane stems and shouting slogans, the farmers marched from Ramlila grounds to Jantar Mantar, a demonstration hotspot in the capital, this morning as the
Winter Session of Parliament began.
The protest is organised by Ajit Singh`s Rashtriya Lok Dal, Mahendra Singh Tikait-led Bharatiya Kisan Union and Rashtriya Kisan Mazdoor Sangathan.
The Centre has announced a price of Rs 129.85 per quintal for sugarcane during the 2009-10 crushing season under the Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) system, which the
protestors and opposition parties say is less.
"We demand at least Rs 250 as the cane price," Anil Singh, secretary of the National Alliance of Farmers` Associations said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- Govt to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose on Friday
- Scary! Truck carrying firecrackers catches fire at Yamuna Expressway – Watch
- Watch video: Top 10 incredible health benefits of pineapples!
- 1971 Indo-Pak war: 'Dusting was Indira Gandhi's stress-buster'
- House of Representative Speaker Paul Ryan invites PM Modi to address joint meeting of US Congress