Farmers protest new sugarcane pricing
New Delhi: Hundreds of sugarcane farmers from western Uttar Pradesh today staged a demonstration in the city to protest the new sugarcane pricing and procurement
policy announced by the government.
Holding sugarcane stems and shouting slogans, the farmers marched from Ramlila grounds to Jantar Mantar, a demonstration hotspot in the capital, this morning as the
Winter Session of Parliament began.
The protest is organised by Ajit Singh`s Rashtriya Lok Dal, Mahendra Singh Tikait-led Bharatiya Kisan Union and Rashtriya Kisan Mazdoor Sangathan.
The Centre has announced a price of Rs 129.85 per quintal for sugarcane during the 2009-10 crushing season under the Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) system, which the
protestors and opposition parties say is less.
"We demand at least Rs 250 as the cane price," Anil Singh, secretary of the National Alliance of Farmers` Associations said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer