Farmers protest new sugarcane pricing
New Delhi: Hundreds of sugarcane farmers from western Uttar Pradesh today staged a demonstration in the city to protest the new sugarcane pricing and procurement
policy announced by the government.
Holding sugarcane stems and shouting slogans, the farmers marched from Ramlila grounds to Jantar Mantar, a demonstration hotspot in the capital, this morning as the
Winter Session of Parliament began.
The protest is organised by Ajit Singh`s Rashtriya Lok Dal, Mahendra Singh Tikait-led Bharatiya Kisan Union and Rashtriya Kisan Mazdoor Sangathan.
The Centre has announced a price of Rs 129.85 per quintal for sugarcane during the 2009-10 crushing season under the Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) system, which the
protestors and opposition parties say is less.
"We demand at least Rs 250 as the cane price," Anil Singh, secretary of the National Alliance of Farmers` Associations said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM