Farmers protest new sugarcane pricing
New Delhi: Hundreds of sugarcane farmers from western Uttar Pradesh today staged a demonstration in the city to protest the new sugarcane pricing and procurement
policy announced by the government.
Holding sugarcane stems and shouting slogans, the farmers marched from Ramlila grounds to Jantar Mantar, a demonstration hotspot in the capital, this morning as the
Winter Session of Parliament began.
The protest is organised by Ajit Singh`s Rashtriya Lok Dal, Mahendra Singh Tikait-led Bharatiya Kisan Union and Rashtriya Kisan Mazdoor Sangathan.
The Centre has announced a price of Rs 129.85 per quintal for sugarcane during the 2009-10 crushing season under the Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) system, which the
protestors and opposition parties say is less.
"We demand at least Rs 250 as the cane price," Anil Singh, secretary of the National Alliance of Farmers` Associations said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi