Farmers’ suicide cases down sharply in AP, Maha in 2012
New Delhi: Farmer suicides due to agrarian reasons in Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh have come down drastically to 129 cases in 2012 as compared to the previous two years, Parliament was informed today.
The number of farmers` suicides due to agricultural reasons stood at 668 in 2011 and 785 in 2010 in these two states, Minister of State for Agriculture Tariq Anwar said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
"As reported by respective state governments, there is a decrease in the number of suicides by farmers due to agrarian reason in 2012 as compared to the last two years," he said.
So far in the 2012 calendar year, 11 cases of farmers suicides have been reported in Andhra Pradesh, while 118 in Maharashtra, totalling 129, the minister said.
While Karnataka has reported two cases of farmers suicides in the current financial year, Haryana has witnessed no such cases so far this year, he added.
According to the data, the number of farmers` suicide in Maharashtra have declined from 548 in 2010 to 485 in 2011 to 118 so far this year. Similarly in Andhra Pradesh, the number of suicides have fallen from 237 in 2010 to 183 in 2011 to 11 so far this year.
In Karnataka too, the instances of farmers` suicides have fallen from 122 in 2010 to 38 in 2011 to two in the current financial year.
To a separate query, the minister said the government lays maximum emphasis in assessing and minimising problems being faced by farmers.
The scientists and ministry officials interact with the farmers to assess their problems and take appropriate steps and develop technologies to reduce their miseries if any, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends