Farook an astute politician
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Governor MOH Farook, who died in Chennai on Thursday, was an astute politician who dominated the Puducherry political scene for several decades often playing the role of the king maker in the union territory.
Rising from the ranks as a student leader, Farook went on to become the Puducherry Chief Minister thrice.
74-year old MO Hasan Farook had also served as Governor of Jharkhand, Indian Ambassador to Saudi Arabia and as a Union Minister of State.
A man without any political foes, Farook was invincible in electoral politics, having been elected to the Puducherry Assembly from 1964 to 1991 and to the Lok Sabha thrice.
Farook, born on September 6, 1937 in Karaikal, a French encalve for long, had actively participated in the struggle for freedom of Pondicherry from French control in his student days.
He also had the distinction of being the youngest Speaker
of Puducherry Assembly in 1964 at the age of 37, a post he had
occupied for a second time in 1980.
He had also served as a member of the Central Haj committee
from 1975 to 2000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre