Fasih Mohammed’s arrest an important development: Singh
New Delhi: Government on Monday termed the arrest of suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorist Fasih Mohammed as a "very important catch", saying Saudi Arabia fully cooperated in his deportation to India.
"It was a very important catch. He was deported by Saudi Arabia," Union Home Secretary R K Singh told reporters here.
Giving the first official reaction after Fasih`s arrest by Delhi Police at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here, the Home Secretary said India had submitted "material evidence" against Fasih to Saudi Arabia to press its demand for deportation for his involvement in various terrorists acts in the country.
"He (Fasih) was deported after he had served a sentence there. Saudi Arabia cooperated with us," he said.
Singh said Indian officials were coordinating with Saudi Arabia for quite some time by providing documents to prove his Indian citizenship.
"Our officers were in touch with Saudi Arabia. That is how it happened," he said.
The Home Secretary said Saudi Arabia had never stated that Fasih would not be deported but it took some time.
Singh said Fasih was the "key facilitator" for 13 Indian Mujahideen terrorists who were arrested from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and a few other places late last year.
These IM activists were arrested in connection with in 2010 blast in Bangalore`s Chinaswamy stadium and shoot out in front of Delhi`s Jama Masjid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen