Fasih Mohammed’s arrest an important development: Singh
New Delhi: Government on Monday termed the arrest of suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorist Fasih Mohammed as a "very important catch", saying Saudi Arabia fully cooperated in his deportation to India.
"It was a very important catch. He was deported by Saudi Arabia," Union Home Secretary R K Singh told reporters here.
Giving the first official reaction after Fasih`s arrest by Delhi Police at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here, the Home Secretary said India had submitted "material evidence" against Fasih to Saudi Arabia to press its demand for deportation for his involvement in various terrorists acts in the country.
"He (Fasih) was deported after he had served a sentence there. Saudi Arabia cooperated with us," he said.
Singh said Indian officials were coordinating with Saudi Arabia for quite some time by providing documents to prove his Indian citizenship.
"Our officers were in touch with Saudi Arabia. That is how it happened," he said.
The Home Secretary said Saudi Arabia had never stated that Fasih would not be deported but it took some time.
Singh said Fasih was the "key facilitator" for 13 Indian Mujahideen terrorists who were arrested from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and a few other places late last year.
These IM activists were arrested in connection with in 2010 blast in Bangalore`s Chinaswamy stadium and shoot out in front of Delhi`s Jama Masjid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!