Fasih Mohammed’s arrest an important development: Singh
New Delhi: Government on Monday termed the arrest of suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorist Fasih Mohammed as a "very important catch", saying Saudi Arabia fully cooperated in his deportation to India.
"It was a very important catch. He was deported by Saudi Arabia," Union Home Secretary R K Singh told reporters here.
Giving the first official reaction after Fasih`s arrest by Delhi Police at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here, the Home Secretary said India had submitted "material evidence" against Fasih to Saudi Arabia to press its demand for deportation for his involvement in various terrorists acts in the country.
"He (Fasih) was deported after he had served a sentence there. Saudi Arabia cooperated with us," he said.
Singh said Indian officials were coordinating with Saudi Arabia for quite some time by providing documents to prove his Indian citizenship.
"Our officers were in touch with Saudi Arabia. That is how it happened," he said.
The Home Secretary said Saudi Arabia had never stated that Fasih would not be deported but it took some time.
Singh said Fasih was the "key facilitator" for 13 Indian Mujahideen terrorists who were arrested from Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and a few other places late last year.
These IM activists were arrested in connection with in 2010 blast in Bangalore`s Chinaswamy stadium and shoot out in front of Delhi`s Jama Masjid.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know