Father coined ‘Lokapl’, son looking into bill
New Delhi: Call it a coincidence, but the
the son of an MP, who coined the term `Lokpal` and introduced
the concept of an ombudsman in India, now heads the
Parliamentary panel looking into the bill for creation of the
It was 31-year-old L M Singhvi, father of Parliamentary
Standing Committee on Law chairman Abhishek Manu Singhvi, who
in the early 1960s coined the term `Lokpal` and demanded its
The then Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru had jestfully
asked Singhvi, who was repeatedly urging for creation of an
Ombudsman, "To what zoo does this animal belong? Dr Singhvi
you must indigenize it".
The young turk, who could converse in Sanskrit, then
coined the Hindi word `Lokpal` and its associate `Lokayukt`.
Singhvi campaigned ceaselessly for a Lokpal bill from
1963 to 1967, but since he was an independent MP, he could not
get any legislation through.
It was only when he left Parliament and continued with
his campaign for Lokpal, the government moved the first bill
through the then Home Minister Y B Chavan in 1969. But, it
could not go to Rajya Sabha as Parliament was dissolved.
Now, it is over to his son and Congress leader Abhishek
Manu Singhvi-headed committee to take a call on the three
demands of Anna Hazare which were referred to it by Parliament
yesterday, ending the impasse between the government and civil
society over Jan Lokpal bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp