Father coined ‘Lokapl’, son looking into bill
New Delhi: Call it a coincidence, but the
the son of an MP, who coined the term `Lokpal` and introduced
the concept of an ombudsman in India, now heads the
Parliamentary panel looking into the bill for creation of the
It was 31-year-old L M Singhvi, father of Parliamentary
Standing Committee on Law chairman Abhishek Manu Singhvi, who
in the early 1960s coined the term `Lokpal` and demanded its
The then Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru had jestfully
asked Singhvi, who was repeatedly urging for creation of an
Ombudsman, "To what zoo does this animal belong? Dr Singhvi
you must indigenize it".
The young turk, who could converse in Sanskrit, then
coined the Hindi word `Lokpal` and its associate `Lokayukt`.
Singhvi campaigned ceaselessly for a Lokpal bill from
1963 to 1967, but since he was an independent MP, he could not
get any legislation through.
It was only when he left Parliament and continued with
his campaign for Lokpal, the government moved the first bill
through the then Home Minister Y B Chavan in 1969. But, it
could not go to Rajya Sabha as Parliament was dissolved.
Now, it is over to his son and Congress leader Abhishek
Manu Singhvi-headed committee to take a call on the three
demands of Anna Hazare which were referred to it by Parliament
yesterday, ending the impasse between the government and civil
society over Jan Lokpal bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters