Father-son duo arrested in Italy for 26/11 links
Rome: The Italian police on Saturday arrested two Pakistani men accused of providing logistical support for last year`s terror attacks in Mumbai, officials said.
The two, father and son, were arrested in an early morning raid in Brescia, police in the northern Italian city said.
The suspects managed a money transfer agency and helped fund the November 26 attacks, police said in a statement. The day before the attacks they transferred money to activate an Internet phone account that was used by the attackers and their accomplices, said Stefano Fonzi, the head of anti-terror police in Brescia.
Italian police began the probe in December after being alerted by the FBI that the money had been sent from Italy, Fonzi said.
The funds were transferred under the identity of another Pakistani man who had never been in Italy and was not involved in the alleged crimes, he said.
The two are accused of aiding and abetting international terrorism as well as illegal financial activity.
Transferring funds using the identity of other people was a common practice at the Brescia agency, Fonzi said.
Two more Pakistanis were arrested in Saturday`s raids for allegedly committing fraud and other crimes using the same system, but they were not linked to the Mumbai attacks. A fifth Pakistani man escaped arrest and was still being sought.
Under the same branch of the probe, 12 other people were flagged to prosecutors for possible investigation but were not arrested, Fonzi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video