Fatwas are not necessarily binding on Muslims: Scholars
New Delhi: Recent Darul Uloom`s fatwas advising Muslim women against working as receptionists and its decrees on tattoos and perfumes may have caused a stir, but Islamic scholars are of the view that such decrees are not necessarily binding on Muslims.
Most of the scholars believe that fatwas cannot be mandatory for everyone as their application may differ according to situation and context.
They, however, were of the view that fatwas pertaining to general faith should be followed by every Muslim.
A fatwa (decree) is not binding on everybody, according to Professor Akhtarul Vase, head of department of Islamic studies at Jamia Milia Islamia.
"Fatwas cannot be mandatory for everybody to follow. Usually, a fatwa is an answer to a specific question. So here it`s important to understand the context and situation in which that question was asked. For example, the recent fatwa which says Muslim women cannot work as receptionists, this cannot be binding on everybody," he said.
Shahi Imam of Fatehpuri Masjid, Mufti Mukarram Ahmed said, "Fatwa should not be considered as an order or a directive. It is an Islamic outlook which people can follow. It is the duty of every Muslim to follow what has been said in Shariyat (Islamic law)."
On a daily basis, Darul Uloom issues 30-40 fatwas, they are even issued online. Similarly, Bareilly Markaz also issues fatwas, the scholars said.
Recently, several fatwas issued by Darul Uloom made headlines, which included one saying that prayers of those who have tattoo on their bodies or have sprayed perfume with alcohol in it, is not valid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!