Faux pas by RAF draws objection from UN body
New Delhi: A minor faux pas by the Rapid
Action Force (RAF) which "inadvertently" used helmets with
`UN` painted on them in Srinagar has drawn objection of United
Nations Military Observer Group in the Kashmir Valley.
Senior CRPF officials said that the reserve company of
the RAF, which had recently given a demonstration before a UN
delegation, had painted `UN` on their blue helmets which
inadvertently went along with the company to Kashmir.
The official said that the two helmets had since been
At least three companies (300 personnel) of RAF have
been sent to the Valley for maintenance of law and order.
Chief of Public Affairs of the UN Peace Keeping
operations Nick Brinback said that the world body had received
complaints about "apparent use of UN-marked blue helmets by
Rapid Action Force (RAF) personnel in Srinagar".
The United Nations Military Observer Group in India
and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) immediately brought the issue to the
attention of the Indian Army authorities.
"We understand that directions have since been issued
by the Indian authorities to prevent its recurrence. UN-marked
items can only be used by personnel serving in United Nations
operations during their service under the blue flag and can
not be used for other purposes, including by national armies
in the conduct of their operations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway