Faux pas by Treasury Bench on a Food Security Bill
New Delhi: It was a faux pas by Treasury Benches members when they voted against a clause in the Food Security Bill in the Lok Sabha on Monday night, thinking it was a division on an amendment moved by the Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj.
Swaraj moved an amendment to Chapter VIII of the Bill which states that in case the government is not able to provide the full quota of foodgrains it will pay cash for the worth of the remaining grains.
She said this cash will be misused by the male head of the family who will go straight to the liquor shop while the women and children will go hungry.
Following this, Speaker Meira Kumar put the Chapter for voting. UPA members thought this was a vote on the amendment moved by Swaraj and voted against.
There were 261 noes and 101 ayes of the total of 362 votes cast.
This led to a commotion in the House with the government realising its mistake while BJP members were on their feet in joy. Finance Minister P Chidambaram went to the Chair to explain. Congress MP Sandeep Dikshit and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath held discussions with Secretary General T K Vishwanathan.
Chidambaram and others asked the Treasury Benches to use slips to vote again.
Vishwanathan went upto Swaraj to discuss the matter.
Meanwhile, Swaraj and the BJP members said the votes cannot be recast as this is against the rules.
Finally, when Kamal Nath made a request to Swaraj and BJP Parliamentary Party Chief LK Advani, the party yielded.
"There has been some confusion and there was a technical fault," Nath said.
Yielding to the government`s request, Swaraj said "normally this is not done. Slips are given for those whose votes are not cast. Since there is some confusion, the vote can be cast again," she said.
The clause was adopted when another round of voting took place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27