FBI joins search for missing Indian-American student
Houston: The FBI has joined a search for an Indian-American Northwestern University student reported missing since last week, according to the University police which is investigating the case.
18-year-old Harsha Maddula, Northwestern pre-med sophomore and straight-A student, disappeared on Saturday over the weekend after attending an off-campus party with friends.
Police say they`ve interviewed dozens and checked the student`s cell phone.
"University police are interviewing all of those students who were at the party," said Alan Cubbage, Vice President of University Relations.
Friends from Maddula`s dorm said they last saw him while leaving the off-campus party.
"They realized that he wasn`t with them while they were walking to another party," said a friend of Maddula, who was with him at the party.
Maddula`s friends did not want to be identified due to the sensitivity of the situation.
Maddula left the party with three or four people, according to multiple sources who saw his group leaving the house, which is located west of campus.
Several sources who said they spoke with Maddula at the party recalled him as coherent - not stumbling or visibly intoxicated - as he left.
Weinberg junior Moritz Gellner, who lives at the house where Maddula was last seen, sent a statement to The Daily after the emergency alert was sent out.
"Everybody in our house has been complying with the investigation and is trying to give as much information as possible regarding what we know about the student in question," Gellner said.
"His safety is paramount and it`s the most important thing that needs to be addressed and now we wish the police the best of luck in their search for the student."
Originally from the small Long Island town of New Hyde Park, New York, Maddula lived with parents Prasad and Dhanalakshmi Maddula before coming to NU last year.
"I don`t know what to do," Prasad told local media, shortly after university police first notified him and his wife of the disappearance.
"I`m so scared and upset. There are no words that I can use to explain anything."
After not hearing from Harsha since Friday, Prasad called a community assistant at PARC on Sunday night, but said the CA did not know anything about his son?s whereabouts.
Prasad then decided to fly to Chicago with his wife to deal with the situation directly.
"Excited to help other people. He came one week early to help freshman," said his father, Prasad Maddula.
His parents say their son, a diabetic, would never walk away of his own choosing. He had goals and dreams.
"We just spoke to the President of the University Shapiro, he assured us he`s going to do everything to find Harsha no matter what," said Prasad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt