FDI: Chouhan, Hooda take stand on party lines
New Delhi: Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan on Friday said he would prefer to develop his state without allowing FDI in multi-brand retail, while his Haryana counterpart Bhupinder Singh Hooda termed the move as a "win-win situation".
The two chief ministers, who took stands in line with their parties BJP and Congress, sparred over the contentious issue at a panel discussion organised by a TV news channel.
"I would like to remind in 2007 that UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh opposing FDI. The Parliamentary committee, which has members from all parties including Congress, had opposed FDI. Even today in the Parliament, the government won somehow, but most of the parties have criticised this decision," Chauhan said.
In Madhya Pradesh nearly one crore people earn their livelihood through retail and they could be affected by this decision, he said.
Hooda countered Chouhan saying BJP itself had brought FDI in many sectors like telecommunication and others.
"They are opposing it today because of political reason and not due to economic reason," Hooda said. He added that by allowing FDI, farmers and consumers would stand to benefit. "It is a win-win situation for all except hoarders," Hooda said, adding that countries like China and Indonesia had allowed hundred percent FDI.
Chauhan, however, questioned Hooda`s logic saying that if farmers benefited from FDI, then why was it that American and European farmers were so dependent on subsidies offered by their governments.
Madhya Pradesh is capable of developing without FDI in retail, he said. Hooda, in his response, said the decision to allow FDI would be successfully implemented in Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands