FDI in multi-brand retail full of holes: BJP
New Delhi: After demanding rollback of the FDI in multi-brand retail announcement, the BJP on Saturday said the measure may not see the light of day as it is "full of holes" and multinationals may not find the offer attractive enough to invest in India.
Former finance minister and BJP leader Yashwant Sinha lashed out at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for his statement yesterday in which he had justified the notification of FDI in multi-brand retail and the hike in diesel prices.
"When the NDA was in power, Priyaranjan Dasmunshi (Congress) had raised the FDI in multi-brand issue in Parliament and said it will be an anti-national step. Arun Shourie had then assured the House that no such step is being taken... What was anti-national in 2002 has become patriotic today," he said.
Finding faults with the FDI in multi-brand policy, Sinha said, "The implementation of this earth-shaking reform is to be decided by the states... We are going to have elections in Rajasthan and Delhi. An efficient company like Walmart has said it will take 18 months to come to India. What if the government changes?"
He maintained that though there may be certain "best practices" of the multinationals in processing, cold chains, transportation and the like which can be emulated, there is no technology that is available only with them and not with India. "So for this FDI is not required," Sinha said.
"This FDI in multi-brand retail is so full of holes, so full of problems that I cannot say any company will come to India," Sinha said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!