FDI in retail a national imperative: Ashwani Kumar
New Delhi: FDI in retail is a "national imperative" and will benefit farmers and small traders immensely, Law Minister Ashwani Kumar said in the Rajya Sabha Thursday.
"Permitting FDI in multi-brand retail is a national imperative... every segment of India`s economy stands to gain by this policy," he said while participating in the debate in the upper house of Parliament on foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail.
The minister said farmers were with the government and supported the FDI move and the community "will have everything to rejoice" once FDI came in.
"The Bharatiya Kisan Union in Punjab has supported us. The Swabhimani Shetkari Sangathan in Maharashtra has supported it. No farmer has taken to the road against this policy. Because they know sooner or later that the direct beneficiaries of this policy will be farmers," he said.
Ashwani Kumar said almost 35 to 40 percent of fruits and vegetables were destroyed every year in the country and farmers were losing up to Rs 65,000 crore annually because of the lack of infrastructure, back-end facilities, transport and cold chains.
But with FDI in retail, a significant amount of investment would be pumped into the critical back-end infrastructure that will "directly and positively affect the future of the farmer in India", he said.
"There are moments in the life of a nation when certain decisions have to be taken at a particular period of time. We should rise above partisan politics. This policy will determine the future of India," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH