FDI in retail against Gandhian ideology: Naveen
Bhubaneswar: FDI in the retail sector is against Gandhian ideology, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Thursday said.
The ruling BJD MPs had voted against FDI in multi-brand retail issue in the Lok Sabha yesterday.
"Allowing foreign investment in retail sector is clearly in violation of the Gandhian principle and ideology," he said while inaugurating a state level khadi exhibition here.
He said thousands of people would lose their employment once foreign investment entered Indian retail market.
"The FDI in retail sector will also lead to loss of income of small traders across the country," he said.
Noting that a self-reliant India can face any challenge before the nation, Patnaik said expansion of khadi industries according to Gandhian principles will help to solve unemployment problem to a great extent.
"We are planning generation of about three lakh employment during the 12th plan period by expanding activities of the Khadi Board," he said.
According to Patnaik, Gandhi used to stress on the cottage industries and self reliance, adding that khadi was the only material which kept the entire country united during the freedom struggle.
"Khadi is our pride and `charka` (wheel) had been the symbol of struggle all along our freedom movement," Patnaik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy