FDI in retail decision taken due to foreign pressure: BJP
Bangalore: BJP Saturday opposed the decision to allow FDI in retail trade and charged the government with taking the decision at the behest of "foreign pressure".
"FDI in retail is not the need of the country at this moment. As far as Walmart is concerned, they won`t come for charity. They are coming for profit. They want market. Allowing FDI for infrastructure development is not true", BJP spokesman Prakash Javadekar told a press conference here.
Allowing FDI in multi-brand retail will result in lot of unemployment and farmers will not be benefited, he said demanding that Government withdraw the decision.
Lashing out at UPA government for diesel price hike and cap on LPG cylinders supply, Javadekar, who demanded immediate roll back of the prices, said, "the Central Government, I think, has lost the nerve and they are now taking all anti-people decisions in one go".
"The decision to hike prices of diesel, LPG and allowing FDI in retail trade and the slew of measures announced tell very clear story that they are in a hurry to finish their own agenda", he said.
He accused the Centre of deciding on FDI "at the behest of foreign pressure" and added a similar measure in allowing FDI in single brand ten years ago has not led to flow of investments.
Javadekar pointed out that it was anticipated that 40 billion dollars of investment will flow into the country when FDI was permitted in single brand, but not even 40 million came into the country.
The BJP leader said his party was not opposed to FDI per se, but opposed in retail trade. "We want FDI in technology and strategic sector", he said.
He expressed doubts over the claim of the Centre that state governments are allowed to decide on permitting FDI in their states and said "India has bilateral investment treaty with 82 countries. You can`t restrict if FDI is allowed as the country is taken as a unit and not states".
He reiterated his party demand for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation on coalgate scam and also an independent impartial probe into it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31