FDI in retail decision taken due to foreign pressure: BJP
Bangalore: BJP Saturday opposed the decision to allow FDI in retail trade and charged the government with taking the decision at the behest of "foreign pressure".
"FDI in retail is not the need of the country at this moment. As far as Walmart is concerned, they won`t come for charity. They are coming for profit. They want market. Allowing FDI for infrastructure development is not true", BJP spokesman Prakash Javadekar told a press conference here.
Allowing FDI in multi-brand retail will result in lot of unemployment and farmers will not be benefited, he said demanding that Government withdraw the decision.
Lashing out at UPA government for diesel price hike and cap on LPG cylinders supply, Javadekar, who demanded immediate roll back of the prices, said, "the Central Government, I think, has lost the nerve and they are now taking all anti-people decisions in one go".
"The decision to hike prices of diesel, LPG and allowing FDI in retail trade and the slew of measures announced tell very clear story that they are in a hurry to finish their own agenda", he said.
He accused the Centre of deciding on FDI "at the behest of foreign pressure" and added a similar measure in allowing FDI in single brand ten years ago has not led to flow of investments.
Javadekar pointed out that it was anticipated that 40 billion dollars of investment will flow into the country when FDI was permitted in single brand, but not even 40 million came into the country.
The BJP leader said his party was not opposed to FDI per se, but opposed in retail trade. "We want FDI in technology and strategic sector", he said.
He expressed doubts over the claim of the Centre that state governments are allowed to decide on permitting FDI in their states and said "India has bilateral investment treaty with 82 countries. You can`t restrict if FDI is allowed as the country is taken as a unit and not states".
He reiterated his party demand for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s resignation on coalgate scam and also an independent impartial probe into it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Netaji files declassification: Morarji had declined to accept inquiry commissions report
- OMG! 25,000 women died due to dowry in last two years, says govt
- India's investments into UK more than doubled in 2015
- Motorola expected to launch Moto G (4th Gen) handset on May 17
- Ex-servicemen suspend OROP protest, threaten to intensify agitation if demands not met