FDI in retail: Govt is being suicidal, says Nitish
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has hit out at the Congress-led UPA government`s move to allow 51 percent Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail, describing the step as ``suicidal``.
"The UPA government has allowed 51 per cent FDI in multi-brand retail inspite of strong objection raised by the state government earlier. It is a suicidal decision," Kumar told media.
"They have taken decision on the FDI despite states`` opposition. It seems that government is on its way out and it is taking self-destructive decisions," he added.
The Union Cabinet on Friday decided to operationalise 51 percent FDI in multi-brand retail, but left it to the state governments to allow setting up of such stores.
The decision in this regard was taken at a meeting headed by Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh here on Friday evening.
The government had in November last year approved 51 percent FDI in multi-brand. This was, however, put on hold due to political opposition, including from UPA constituent Trinamool Congress.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory