FDI in retail: Govt to face stiff opposition in Parl
New Delhi: Government is likely to face stiff opposition on FDI in retail in the Monsoon session of Parliament beginning on August 8.
An indication to this effect was given by JD-U President Sharad Yadav, who said that there will be unanimity within the NDA on the issue and that his party will also reach out to other parties including UPA allies to put up united fight against this "biggest assault" on Indian economy.
Yadav, whose party has given a notice to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar seeking permission to raise the issue in House during the upcoming session, thanked Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee for halting the move on FDI earlier.
Raising the banner of opposition, Samajwadi Party yesterday joined hands with Left parties and JD(S) asking the government not to go ahead with the controversial decision without wide-ranging consensus.
SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav, CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat, CPI general secretary S Sudhakar Reddy, Forward Bloc`s Debabrata Biswas, JDS` Danish Ali and RSP`s Abani Roy wrote a joint letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, saying parties across the spectrum are opposed to this move.
The JD-U chief said he thanked SP, CPI-M, JDS and RSP for opposing FDI in retail, saying "they have rightly done so. This move will be the biggest assault on Indian economy."
"We appeal to all parties including the UPA allies to oppose this anti-people measure. A population of 22 crore Indians are employed in retail who will be affected by this attempt of the government, in a similar manner like the entry of East India company had destroyed India`s trade," Yadav said.
Congratulating Banerjee for opposition to FDI in past, he said, "Mamata Banerjee was the only ally in UPA who opposed it and ensured that there was no move forward on it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31