FDI in retail not the only solution to boost economy: Gadkari
New Delhi: Contending that FDI in retail was not the only solution to boost the economy, BJP Chief Nitin Gadkari on Saturday said a strong political will is required to create a climate which encourages capital investment in the country.
"FDI in retail is not the only solution and economic reform. We have some reservations and that is why we have opposed it," Gadkari said, addressing industrialists at the valedictory session of 107th Annual Session of PHD Chamber here today.
Lamenting that a "strange" kind of atmosphere prevailed in the country, the BJP chief said, "We are caught in a vicious circle and we have to come out of it. Thus there is need to create a good investment climate."
He said the 21st century politics is that of progress and development and called for bringing such policies that converted problems into opportunities to help make India an economic superpower.
"We need to bring a positive, development-oriented approach and fast track processes. For this we need a strong political will," he said.
Talking about FDI in retail sector, the BJP Chief said foreign companies will come and create pre-cooling plants, cold storage and godowns for storage facilities and wondered if the country even after 65 years of independence was not capable of creating such infrastructure like godowns.
Expressing hope that BJP will soon come to power, he urged industrialists to invest within and not invest in foreign shores as his party would bring about an industry and development-free atmosphere that will encourage investment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured