FDI in retail not the only solution to boost economy: Gadkari
New Delhi: Contending that FDI in retail was not the only solution to boost the economy, BJP Chief Nitin Gadkari on Saturday said a strong political will is required to create a climate which encourages capital investment in the country.
"FDI in retail is not the only solution and economic reform. We have some reservations and that is why we have opposed it," Gadkari said, addressing industrialists at the valedictory session of 107th Annual Session of PHD Chamber here today.
Lamenting that a "strange" kind of atmosphere prevailed in the country, the BJP chief said, "We are caught in a vicious circle and we have to come out of it. Thus there is need to create a good investment climate."
He said the 21st century politics is that of progress and development and called for bringing such policies that converted problems into opportunities to help make India an economic superpower.
"We need to bring a positive, development-oriented approach and fast track processes. For this we need a strong political will," he said.
Talking about FDI in retail sector, the BJP Chief said foreign companies will come and create pre-cooling plants, cold storage and godowns for storage facilities and wondered if the country even after 65 years of independence was not capable of creating such infrastructure like godowns.
Expressing hope that BJP will soon come to power, he urged industrialists to invest within and not invest in foreign shores as his party would bring about an industry and development-free atmosphere that will encourage investment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal