FDI in retail should benefit farmers: Meera Shankar
Mumbai: Ruling out the possibility of "flooding" of investment in the wake of nod to FDI in retail, former Indian Ambassador to the United States Meera Shankar has said it would be desirable if it benefits the farmers.
"I don`t see flooding of investment in multi-brand retail," Shankar said, in a lecture on `Role of US in Asia-Pacific`, organised by the Observer Research Foundation here last week.
"It (FDI) might be desirable....In retail if it benefits the farmers," Shankar added.
However, Shankar, who served in the United States from 2009 to 2011, said FDI was not successful in sectors like vegetables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof