FDI in retail should benefit farmers: Meera Shankar
Mumbai: Ruling out the possibility of "flooding" of investment in the wake of nod to FDI in retail, former Indian Ambassador to the United States Meera Shankar has said it would be desirable if it benefits the farmers.
"I don`t see flooding of investment in multi-brand retail," Shankar said, in a lecture on `Role of US in Asia-Pacific`, organised by the Observer Research Foundation here last week.
"It (FDI) might be desirable....In retail if it benefits the farmers," Shankar added.
However, Shankar, who served in the United States from 2009 to 2011, said FDI was not successful in sectors like vegetables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda