FDI in retail should benefit farmers: Meera Shankar
Mumbai: Ruling out the possibility of "flooding" of investment in the wake of nod to FDI in retail, former Indian Ambassador to the United States Meera Shankar has said it would be desirable if it benefits the farmers.
"I don`t see flooding of investment in multi-brand retail," Shankar said, in a lecture on `Role of US in Asia-Pacific`, organised by the Observer Research Foundation here last week.
"It (FDI) might be desirable....In retail if it benefits the farmers," Shankar added.
However, Shankar, who served in the United States from 2009 to 2011, said FDI was not successful in sectors like vegetables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal