FDI in retail should benefit farmers: Meera Shankar
Mumbai: Ruling out the possibility of "flooding" of investment in the wake of nod to FDI in retail, former Indian Ambassador to the United States Meera Shankar has said it would be desirable if it benefits the farmers.
"I don`t see flooding of investment in multi-brand retail," Shankar said, in a lecture on `Role of US in Asia-Pacific`, organised by the Observer Research Foundation here last week.
"It (FDI) might be desirable....In retail if it benefits the farmers," Shankar added.
However, Shankar, who served in the United States from 2009 to 2011, said FDI was not successful in sectors like vegetables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death