FDI in retail will increase unemployment: BJP
New Delhi: Opposing the government`s move to allow foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail, BJP on Friday said it will create unemployment in the country and adversely affect thousands of traders in the sector.
"FDI is not required in retail sector. Cold storage facility is not rocket science that you need FDI for it," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javdekar told reporters outside
Parliament House today.
The Union Cabinet yesterday allowed 51 percent FDI in multi-brand stores and 100 per cent FDI in single brand stores in the country. Government has maintained that farmers will get higher remuneration and the FDI will help developing logistics and cold chains in the country.
Rubbishing government`s claims, Javdekar said, "On the contrary it will create unemployment and adversely affect thousands of traders in the sector. We are against FDI in retail sector and we will oppose it."
He said in the absence of power and roads, cold chains cannot be developed.
BJP leader SS Ahluwalia said, "Two Standing Committees have given reports against the FDI in retail sector. But still the government went ahead with FDI. It must be withdrawn."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands