FDI in retail will increase unemployment: BJP
New Delhi: Opposing the government`s move to allow foreign direct investment in multi-brand retail, BJP on Friday said it will create unemployment in the country and adversely affect thousands of traders in the sector.
"FDI is not required in retail sector. Cold storage facility is not rocket science that you need FDI for it," BJP spokesperson Prakash Javdekar told reporters outside
Parliament House today.
The Union Cabinet yesterday allowed 51 percent FDI in multi-brand stores and 100 per cent FDI in single brand stores in the country. Government has maintained that farmers will get higher remuneration and the FDI will help developing logistics and cold chains in the country.
Rubbishing government`s claims, Javdekar said, "On the contrary it will create unemployment and adversely affect thousands of traders in the sector. We are against FDI in retail sector and we will oppose it."
He said in the absence of power and roads, cold chains cannot be developed.
BJP leader SS Ahluwalia said, "Two Standing Committees have given reports against the FDI in retail sector. But still the government went ahead with FDI. It must be withdrawn."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter