FDI in retail will increase unemployment: Mulayam Singh Yadav
New Delhi: Opposing the government`s decision to allow foreign investment in multi-brand retail, Samajwadi Party (SP) supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav said in the Lok Sabha that it would drive local retailers out of business and could lead to massive unemployment.
Mulayam stated that his stand was pro-nation and shouldn’t be seen as an anti-Congress step, and said, “FDI is not in favour of the country. And this is keeping in mind the interest of the nation and not a pro or anti-Congress decision.”
“We are not trying to stop the government. It is the responsibility of the opposition to stop the government from making mistakes. It is my earnest request to you to forget about FDI for now,” Mulayam added.
Explaining his stand on the issue, Mulayam said, “Initially, it could look like a good move. But in the long run small traders will not be able to compete with the big retailers. And when all local retailers are forced to shut shop, these big brands will begin functioning on their own whims and fancies. Overall it will lead to unemployment.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS