FDI in retail will increase unemployment: Mulayam Singh Yadav
New Delhi: Opposing the government`s decision to allow foreign investment in multi-brand retail, Samajwadi Party (SP) supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav said in the Lok Sabha that it would drive local retailers out of business and could lead to massive unemployment.
Mulayam stated that his stand was pro-nation and shouldn’t be seen as an anti-Congress step, and said, “FDI is not in favour of the country. And this is keeping in mind the interest of the nation and not a pro or anti-Congress decision.”
“We are not trying to stop the government. It is the responsibility of the opposition to stop the government from making mistakes. It is my earnest request to you to forget about FDI for now,” Mulayam added.
Explaining his stand on the issue, Mulayam said, “Initially, it could look like a good move. But in the long run small traders will not be able to compete with the big retailers. And when all local retailers are forced to shut shop, these big brands will begin functioning on their own whims and fancies. Overall it will lead to unemployment.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics