FDI not in the interest of the country, says SP
New Delhi: Opposing FDI in multi-brand retail, Samajwadi Party on Tuesday said that the move is not in the interest of the country.
"Our party is totally opposed to FDI in multi-brand retail," SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav told reporters outside Parliament House.
Asked whether his party will oppose it during the voting in Parliament, he said, "If the government convinces us on the FDI issue... We will see but we cannot vote in favour of FDI. We are very much against FDI and we think it is not in the interest of the country."
On SP and BSP having the same stand on the FDI issue, Yadav parried the question, saying, "Many parties have the same stand so what".
Meanwhile, BJD today issued a whip to its MPs to vote against FDI in both the Houses.
"BJD was having a consultation process on FDI involving not only MPs but also MLAs and state party organisations and finally today the party has issued a whip in both Houses to vote against it," BJD leader BJ Panda said.
On whether Odisha will implement FDI in multi-brand retail, Panda said, "One of the clauses in it is that it has been left to the state government to decide on it. We will see how that goes. But let us see whether the policy itself is implemented or not."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata