FDI: Paswan seeks protection for small traders
New Delhi: Ramvilas Paswan-led Lok Janshakti Party Tuesday supported the government`s decision to introduce FDI in multi-brand retail but insisted that the interests of small traders from Dalit and backward community be protected at all levels.
Observing that BJP`s opposition on the issue is based on petty politics, the LJP president said, "BJP is raising the issue only to take attention away from other critical matters such as corruption and development. It is an example of petty politics."
"Parliament is free to discuss everything. We have been supporting the FDI in retail on one condition -- the interests of small traders from Dalit and backward communities should be protected by the government at all levels," Paswan said, favouring a discussion in Parliament on the FDI issue.
The decision will benefit traders, producers and even consumers by eliminating middlemen and shortening the route to the wholesale markets, Paswan told reporters.
The LJP president also supported appointment of IPS officer Ranjit Sinha as the Director of CBI.
Attacking BJP for its demand to revoke Sinha`s appointment, he said, "Ranjit Sinha is a very competent officer. BJP has no case in opposing his appointment. BJP has been creating useless issues, without any merit."
Paswan said he had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding a CBI probe into alleged malpractices and embezzlement of funds in MNREGA schemes in Bihar.
"Delhi-based Centre for Environment and Food Security (CEFS) has conducted a performance audit of MNREGA in Bihar from 2006-2011 and they claim that 73 per cent of funds spent in 38 districts of Bihar have been embezzled by implementing authorities," Paswan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video