FDI: Paswan seeks protection for small traders
New Delhi: Ramvilas Paswan-led Lok Janshakti Party Tuesday supported the government`s decision to introduce FDI in multi-brand retail but insisted that the interests of small traders from Dalit and backward community be protected at all levels.
Observing that BJP`s opposition on the issue is based on petty politics, the LJP president said, "BJP is raising the issue only to take attention away from other critical matters such as corruption and development. It is an example of petty politics."
"Parliament is free to discuss everything. We have been supporting the FDI in retail on one condition -- the interests of small traders from Dalit and backward communities should be protected by the government at all levels," Paswan said, favouring a discussion in Parliament on the FDI issue.
The decision will benefit traders, producers and even consumers by eliminating middlemen and shortening the route to the wholesale markets, Paswan told reporters.
The LJP president also supported appointment of IPS officer Ranjit Sinha as the Director of CBI.
Attacking BJP for its demand to revoke Sinha`s appointment, he said, "Ranjit Sinha is a very competent officer. BJP has no case in opposing his appointment. BJP has been creating useless issues, without any merit."
Paswan said he had written a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh demanding a CBI probe into alleged malpractices and embezzlement of funds in MNREGA schemes in Bihar.
"Delhi-based Centre for Environment and Food Security (CEFS) has conducted a performance audit of MNREGA in Bihar from 2006-2011 and they claim that 73 per cent of funds spent in 38 districts of Bihar have been embezzled by implementing authorities," Paswan said.
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017
- ISKCON pins hopes on PM Narendra Modi for Krishna temple in Moscow