FDI row: Parliament adjourned for 9th day in a row
New Delhi: The deadlock in Parliament over FDI in retail and several other issues led to its adjournment for the ninth day in a row on Friday with the opposition and some UPA allies pressing the government for an immediate rollback of the decision.
Both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were earlier adjourned till noon minutes after they met for the day.
As soon as Speaker Meira Kumar took up the Question Hour in the Lok Sabha, Basudeb Acharia (CPI-M) was on his feet and tried to draw her attention to the FDI issue. He was joined by BJP member Murli Manohar Joshi.
Joshi had given a notice for adjournment motion to censure the government on allowing 51 per cent FDI in retail. BJP and Left members were on their feet and raised slogans.
UPA ally Trinamool Congress also protested against FDI in retail with some of its members raising slogans demanding withdrawal of the decision.
MPs from Kerala held placards demanding appropriate steps to deal with the Mullaperiyar dam issue. "Safety of Kerala, Water for Tamil Nadu" read the placards.
As some members walked into the Well to press for their demand, the Speaker adjourned the House till noon.
In the Rajya Sabha, opposition members rose in protest as soon as Chairman Hamid Ansari took his seat. They raised slogans to demand rollback of the decision to allow FDI in
"FDI vapas lo...vapas lo (roll back FDI)...East India Company wapas jao...," chanted members belonging to BJP, BSP, AIADMK and SP.
As they left their seats to enter the Well, Ansari adjourned the House till noon.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city