FDI row: Parliament adjourned till tomorrow
New Delhi: Logjam continued in Parliament on Tuesday, with both Houses being adjourned for the day.
The latest issue to have rocked Parliament is government’s recent decision to allow foreign direct investment in retail sector.
As soon as the two Houses convened, Opposition created an uproar over the issue demanding a roll back of Cabinet decision allowing FDI in retail.
Both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were subsequently adjourned till 12 noon.
However, as soon as the two Houses reconvened for business at 12 noon the uproar continued and both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were adjourned till Wednesday.
Earlier this morning, an all-party meet on the vexed issue had ended inconclusively.
In Lok Sabha, members of Trinamool Congress, a key UPA partner, were seen in the aisle shouting `Cancel FDI in retail`. Members of the BJP, JD-U, BSP, Left parties, SP also raised slogans on the issue.
Congress members from Telangana region and TRS MPs waved placards demanding creation of separate Telangana state.
Members from Kerala were seen raising the issue of the safety of the over 100-year-old Mullaiperiyar dam in Idukki district. Some members from Tamil Nadu, however, opposed their counterparts from Kerala.
Opposition members in Rajya Sabha began shouting slogans against the government`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail even before Chairman Hamid Ansari took his seat.
"FDI vapas lo, vapas lo," they shouted as Ansari took up the first listed question.
Left MPs from Kerala moved into the aisles displaying banners highlighting the safety of the Mullaperiyar dam.
BJP, BSP, JD-U and AIADMK members shouted slogans demanding withdrawal of the decision to allow FDI in retail.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users