FDI row: Parliament adjourned till tomorrow
New Delhi: Logjam continued in Parliament on Tuesday, with both Houses being adjourned for the day.
The latest issue to have rocked Parliament is government’s recent decision to allow foreign direct investment in retail sector.
As soon as the two Houses convened, Opposition created an uproar over the issue demanding a roll back of Cabinet decision allowing FDI in retail.
Both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were subsequently adjourned till 12 noon.
However, as soon as the two Houses reconvened for business at 12 noon the uproar continued and both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha were adjourned till Wednesday.
Earlier this morning, an all-party meet on the vexed issue had ended inconclusively.
In Lok Sabha, members of Trinamool Congress, a key UPA partner, were seen in the aisle shouting `Cancel FDI in retail`. Members of the BJP, JD-U, BSP, Left parties, SP also raised slogans on the issue.
Congress members from Telangana region and TRS MPs waved placards demanding creation of separate Telangana state.
Members from Kerala were seen raising the issue of the safety of the over 100-year-old Mullaiperiyar dam in Idukki district. Some members from Tamil Nadu, however, opposed their counterparts from Kerala.
Opposition members in Rajya Sabha began shouting slogans against the government`s decision to allow FDI in multi-brand retail even before Chairman Hamid Ansari took his seat.
"FDI vapas lo, vapas lo," they shouted as Ansari took up the first listed question.
Left MPs from Kerala moved into the aisles displaying banners highlighting the safety of the Mullaperiyar dam.
BJP, BSP, JD-U and AIADMK members shouted slogans demanding withdrawal of the decision to allow FDI in retail.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra