`FDI vote win a victory of reforms`
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday said that the FDI vote it won in the Lok Sabha was a victory of reforms which would strengthen the economy further.
"It was a contest between reform and retribution...ultimately reform and pragmatism have won. This decision, which has been endorsed by the Lok Sabha would ensure the economy is strengthened," said Minister of State (Independent charge) for Information and Broadcasting Manish Tewari soon after the government won the vote on foreign investment in multi-brand retail.
Communications Minister Kapil Sibal said: "We are very happy, this is what vibrant democracy does…demonstrate in the voting…It was curious to find new definition of democracy."
"We are very happy and have the approval of the house," he added.
Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath described the victory in Lok Sabha vote as the defeat of the politics of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and a victory for those who opposed the politics of that party.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid said: "It is a moral victory for the government...the debate and results have shown that we have the numbers and we did what we thought is in favour of the country."
The government comfortably won the vote in the Lok Sabha on foreign investment in multi-brand retail that is seen as important step in its reform process. It also won another motion on amendments to the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) to facilitate its initiative.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note