Felt like `Shikhandi` in Environ Ministry: Ramesh
New Delhi: "I had become Shikhandi in
Environment and Forest Ministry," Rural Development Minister
Jairam Ramesh on Tuesday said on facing the brunt of attacks on
land acquisition for various projects.
In the epic Mahabharata, Shikhandi, a transsexual, was
used as a human shield by Arjuna against Bhishma.
The Minister was talking to reporters on the Land
Acquisition Bill, which is being drafted with the
participation of senior members of National Advisory Council
and the Planning Commission.
"But Medha Patkar is not involved in drafting it. I
hope that she will be very happy with the draft," Ramesh said
and referred to the issues he faced while giving sanction for
land acquisition as the Environment and Forest Minister.
"I had become Shikhandi in Environment and Forest
Ministry. I was attacked on the issue of land acquisition," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why