Fernandes files papers for RS seat as JD (U) nominee
Patna: Former union minister and veteran
socialist leader George Fernandes on Thursday filed his nomination
papers as the ruling JD(U) nominee for the by-election to the
lone Rajya Sabha seat in Bihar.
Accompanied by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar,
Fernandes reached the state assembly, where he submitted four
sets of papers to contest the by-election to the lone RS seat
in Bihar, vacated by JD(U) president Sharad Yadav after he
emerged victorious in the Lok Sabha polls in Madhepura.
Several NDA leaders, including Deputy Chief Minister
Sushil Kumar Modi, his ministerial colleagues Narendra Singh,
Ashwini Choubey, Prem Kumar, Devesh Chandra Thakur, JD(U)
chief whip Shravan Kumar were present when Fernandes submitted
the papers to the state assembly secretary-cum-Returning
Officer Surendra Prasad Sharma.
"Let bygones be bygones," Nitish Kumar said adding the
"presence of a leader of the stature of George saheb, who
remains, undoubtedly, a respectable leader for us, is
required in the Parliament."
Fernandes contested as an independent candidate from
Muzaffarpur Lok Sabha seat and lost after he was denied JD(U)
His election to the upper house appears to be a forgone
conclusion as the NDA enjoys comfortable majority in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks