Fernandes files papers for RS seat as JD (U) nominee
Patna: Former union minister and veteran
socialist leader George Fernandes on Thursday filed his nomination
papers as the ruling JD(U) nominee for the by-election to the
lone Rajya Sabha seat in Bihar.
Accompanied by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar,
Fernandes reached the state assembly, where he submitted four
sets of papers to contest the by-election to the lone RS seat
in Bihar, vacated by JD(U) president Sharad Yadav after he
emerged victorious in the Lok Sabha polls in Madhepura.
Several NDA leaders, including Deputy Chief Minister
Sushil Kumar Modi, his ministerial colleagues Narendra Singh,
Ashwini Choubey, Prem Kumar, Devesh Chandra Thakur, JD(U)
chief whip Shravan Kumar were present when Fernandes submitted
the papers to the state assembly secretary-cum-Returning
Officer Surendra Prasad Sharma.
"Let bygones be bygones," Nitish Kumar said adding the
"presence of a leader of the stature of George saheb, who
remains, undoubtedly, a respectable leader for us, is
required in the Parliament."
Fernandes contested as an independent candidate from
Muzaffarpur Lok Sabha seat and lost after he was denied JD(U)
His election to the upper house appears to be a forgone
conclusion as the NDA enjoys comfortable majority in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Kazakhstan beats Thailand in race for Asian seat on Security Council
- The human body refreshes itself every seven years! - Watch video
- UK Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn refuses to resign after losing confidence vote
- Serena Williams, Andy Murray cruise at rain-lashed Wimbledon
- 262 new faunal species discovered in India in 2015: Official