Fervour marks Janmashtami celebrations
New Delhi: Devotees, chanting Hare Krishna,
thronged decked-up temples as Janmashtami, marking the birth
of Lord Krishna, was celebrated with traditional gaiety across
the country on Monday.
Amid blowing of conch shells and chants of vedic hymns,
worshippers offered prayers since early morning in temples
which wore a festive look.
In Mumbai, youngsters went around the city in processions
and broke `dahi handi` (pot filled with butter or curd and
tied to a rope as high as 40-ft).
The faithful formed pyramids at various places to reach
the handi as those gathered attempted to thwart their efforts
by splashing water on them.
Devotees observed day-long fasts as special delicacies
for the occasion remained an attraction.
Amid tight security, over ten lakh pilgrims paid
obeisance at temples in Mathura where the deity is believed
to have been born.
"The celebrations started this morning after bathing
Krishna ji with water from the Yamuna. A special Abhishek
(bathing the deity) was performed amid chanting of Vedic
hymns, beating of drums and playing of musical instruments,"
said Dinesh Chandra Goswami, a priest at the Radha Raman
Janmashtami was also celebrated in temples of nearby
towns of Vrindavan, Baldeo and Goverdhan.
In Jammu and Kashmir, long-winding queues were seen
outside lit-up temples as fervour marked the festivities.
Raghunath rath yatras, some with tableaux depicting
various aspects of the life of Lord Krishna, were also taken
out in various parts of Jammu in which hundreds participated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400