Fervour marks Janmashtami celebrations
New Delhi: Devotees, chanting Hare Krishna,
thronged decked-up temples as Janmashtami, marking the birth
of Lord Krishna, was celebrated with traditional gaiety across
the country on Monday.
Amid blowing of conch shells and chants of vedic hymns,
worshippers offered prayers since early morning in temples
which wore a festive look.
In Mumbai, youngsters went around the city in processions
and broke `dahi handi` (pot filled with butter or curd and
tied to a rope as high as 40-ft).
The faithful formed pyramids at various places to reach
the handi as those gathered attempted to thwart their efforts
by splashing water on them.
Devotees observed day-long fasts as special delicacies
for the occasion remained an attraction.
Amid tight security, over ten lakh pilgrims paid
obeisance at temples in Mathura where the deity is believed
to have been born.
"The celebrations started this morning after bathing
Krishna ji with water from the Yamuna. A special Abhishek
(bathing the deity) was performed amid chanting of Vedic
hymns, beating of drums and playing of musical instruments,"
said Dinesh Chandra Goswami, a priest at the Radha Raman
Janmashtami was also celebrated in temples of nearby
towns of Vrindavan, Baldeo and Goverdhan.
In Jammu and Kashmir, long-winding queues were seen
outside lit-up temples as fervour marked the festivities.
Raghunath rath yatras, some with tableaux depicting
various aspects of the life of Lord Krishna, were also taken
out in various parts of Jammu in which hundreds participated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi