Fervour marks Janmashtami
New Delhi: Devotees chanting `Hare Krishna`
thronged decked-up temples as Janmashtami, marking the birth
of Lord Krishna, was celebrated with religious fervour and
enthusiasm across the country on Thursday.
Amid blowing of conch shells and chants of vedic hymns,
lakhs of devotees since daylight made a beeline outside
temples which wore a festive look.
In Mumbai, youngsters went around the city in processions
and broke `dahi handi` (pot filled with butter or curd and
tied to a rope as high as 40-ft).
The faithful formed pyramids at various places to reach
the handi as those gathered attempted to thwart their efforts
by splashing water on them.
People observed day-long fast and dishes especially
prepared for the occasion remained an attraction.
Amid tight security, over ten lakh pilgrims paid
obeisance at temples in Mathura and Vrindaban in Uttar Pradesh
as devotees swayed to the songs sung in praise of `Makhan
In Jaipur, the famous Govind Devji temple echoed with
`Radhe-Radhe` as people queued up to offer prayers.
Janmashtami was celebrated with traditional gaiety across
Jammu and Kashmir where long-winding queues were seen outside
lit up temples.
Raghunath rath yatras were taken out in various parts of
Jammu in which hundreds participated.
Over a dozen tableaux depicting various aspects of the
life of Lord Krishna, from his childhood to the battle of
Mahabharata, and teachings of the Bhagwat Geeta formed part of
the rath yatras.
President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh greeted the nation on the
occasion hoping the festival would inspire the people to work
for the creation of a peaceful, harmonious and enlightened
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video