`Few women dare to complain against harassment`
New Delhi: It is no secret that women are harassed while on move in Delhi but it appears that many of them prefer not to complain to police, if one goes by government statistics.
Only 41 cases of harassment of women in various modes of transport were registered in the past three-and-a-quarter years in Delhi with woman flyers topping the list by reporting 15 incidents -- 12 harassed on aircraft and three in taxi.
Women air travellers are followed by women travelling in buses, who registered 10 cases during this period.
A total of 50 people were arrested in these cases between January 1, 2009 and March 31, 2012, Minister of State for Home Affairs Jitender Singh informed Rajya Sabha in a written reply today.
Of the 41 cases, three cases were compromised while court quashed one. One was convicted in 2009, while another was acquitted in 2011.
Except for two cases which are still under investigation, all the 33 other cases are pending trial.
The year 2010 saw the highest of 13 cases registered in this regard, while 2009 saw 12 cases. Last year witnessed 11 such cases and the first three months of this year saw five cases, including three from air travellers.
The statistics showed that air travellers were more confident in registering complaints. A senior police official said most of the cases from airport were related to unruly passengers harassing air hostesses.
Of the 41 cases, 15 cases were registered with IGI police station, which again emphasis the point that flyers were more confident in dealing with such cases.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata