Fgn Secy Nirupama Rao meets Burns in Washington
Washington: Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao met with her US counterpart William Burns and discussed a wide range of bilateral issues, including counter-terrorism and the
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s proposed visit to America in November.
Rao, who arrived here from New York late Sunday, had detailed discussion with Burns, the US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs, yesterday.
The two diplomats reviewed the Indo-US dialogue architecture after the visit of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to India in July and preparation for the State visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in November, sources told reporters.
Rao visited Washington at the invitation of Burns. The special invitation to visit Washington at a time when the entire Obama Administration is in New York is seen as a
"special gesture" from the US State Department.
She also met Deputy Secretary of State James Steinberg and Maria Otero, Under Secretary of State for Democracy and Global Affairs.
Besides areas of bilateral cooperation, they also discussed issues related to counter-terrorism, energy, green technology, agriculture, civil nuclear cooperation and
Rao, who left Washington for New York later in the evening, would have a second round of discussion with Burns again in New York later this week, on the sidelines of the
General Assembly session of the United Nations. She would also meet Special US Envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard Holbrook in New York.
Because of scheduling conflict, Holbrooke has not been able to visit India since the July visit of Clinton. Since then he has visited the region twice
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’