Fight against Naxalism gets enhanced allocation in budget
New Delhi: Finance Minister P Chidambaram has enhanced budgetary allocation for all subjects dealing with upgrading police infrastructure and enhancing weapons and training of personnel deployed to tackle Naxalism.
Chidambaram, who held the Home portfolio before taking over the new assignment last August, enhanced the allocation under eight various heads of subjects which are crucial to deal with the Naxal menace in various states of the country.
Country`s lead anti-Maoist operations force--CRPF-- has been the biggest gainer in terms of getting funds with Rs 10818.53 crore being allocated to it for the 2013-14 fiscal, a jump of about 10 per cent from its last financial allocation of Rs 9867.88 crore.
The finance minister also substantially enhanced the `assistance to states`, funds provided by the Centre as an aid to develop and train state police forces and special counter- insurgency units, under seven various heads.
While the Modernisation of Police Force scheme got Rs 1,847 crore this budget, compared to Rs 300 crore in 2012-13, the Security Related Expenditure got Rs 789.08 crore, a jump of 11 per cent money that was allocated under this head for various states in the previous financial year.
The scheme of `Special infrastructure in Left-wing extremism-affected states` got a raise of about Rs 20 crore with the allocation of Rs 74.15 crore in this budget.
Similarly, under the `Assistance to counter-insurgency and anti-terrorist schools` which train state police and security personnel in special operations skills has been allocated an enhanced sum of Rs 20.50 crore.
The Indian Reserve Battalions, raised specifically to undertake active operational role in Naxal-hit areas, got a Rs six crore hike at Rs 52 crore in this budget.
Another subject on this list-- Assistance to Naxal management-- got Rs 40 crore, a 100 per cent rise from last fiscal`s Rs 20 crore under this head.
For construction and strengthening of fortified police stations, the finance minister allocated Rs 160 crore, a Rs 10 crore hike from the last budget.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram