Fight against terrorism has to be unrelenting: India
New York: India has said that the fight against the scourge of terrorism has to be unrelenting and nations cannot adopt selective approaches in dealing with terrorist groups.
Talking tough on terror, visiting Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said resorting to the use of terrorism as an instrument of state policy is short-sightedness.
"The fight against terrorism has to be unrelenting and fought across all fronts. The international community cannot afford selective approaches in dealing with terrorist groups or in dismantling the infrastructure of terrorism," Jaitley said here on Tuesday during a session on `Measures to Eliminate International Terrorism`.
Jaitley, who is part of a delegation of Indian Parliamentarians attending sessions of the UN General Assembly, reiterated India`s call for the adoption of a holistic approach that ensures zero-tolerance towards terrorism.
"Terrorists are waging an asymmetric warfare against the international community, and are a major most threat to the international peace and security. India holds the firm view that no cause whatsoever or grievance could justify terrorism.
"India condemns terrorism in all its forms and manifestations, including those in which States are directly or indirectly involved, including the State-sponsored cross-border terrorism," he added.
He said India strongly supports all efforts, particularly within the purview of the UN that strengthen international and regional cooperation in the fight against terrorism.
"We must step up our collective efforts with real cooperation among member states to confront the scourge of terrorism squarely and decisively. Terrorism is a Frankenstein monster. Indeed, those who have taken recourse to it have invariably themselves suffered immensely from it proving the age old dictum that those who play with the sword, shall also perish by it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai