Fin Min rejects plan for 20 IIITs
New Delhi: An ambitious proposal of HRD
Ministry to set up 20 Indian Institutes of Information
Technology (IIIT) could be a non-starter with the Finance
Ministry not favouring it during the 11th Plan.
A note issued by the HRD Ministry for clearance of
Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) has been returned by the
Finance Ministry with the suggestion that the proposal may be
considered during the 12th plan, official sources said.
The Human Resource Development Ministry had proposed
to start the institutes in public-private-partnership (PPP)
mode during the 11th plan (2007-2012).
"The Finance Ministry did not agree to the proposal of
setting up of 20 IIITs in 11th Plan. It has said the scheme
can be considered during the 12th Plan," the sources said.
The HRD Ministry is yet to decide its future course
of action on the matter and HRD Minister Kapil Sibal will now
take call on the matter.
The ministry had earlier prepared a PPP model for
setting up 20 IIITs under which the expenditure could be
shared in the ratio of 85 to 15 between the government and
According to the EFC note prepared by the ministry for
these projects, each IIIT would be set up with an investment
of Rs 200 crore and the government would bear 85 per cent of
Of the 85 per cent spending, the Centre would provide
50 per cent and the state government would bear 35 per cent of
the expenditure. It means the Centre will provide Rs 100 crore
while the state government will give Rs 70 crore and the
industry will provide Rs 30 crore for setting up of each
The Planning Commission had also given in-principle
approval for it.
The Ministry had overruled a proposal of NASSCOM, the
country`s information technology and business process
outsourcing trade body, which had prepared a Detailed Project
Report suggesting that the private sector should bear more
than 50 per cent of the cost.
As per the plan, each IIIT would be a centre of
excellence and specialise in specific area. These institutes
would concentrate more on basic than applied research.
The Ministry was supposed to bring in a bill in
Parliament to confer them with the status of institutes of
Some of the IIITs were supposed to be set up in
northeastern states. If the industry does not come forward,
the DONER (Ministry for Development of North-Eastern Region)
would have provided additional funds.
The buildings and campuses of these institutes were
supposed to be made environment-friendly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley