Finally, A Raja reaches home to a hero`s welcome
Chennai: Days after a CBI special court granted him permission, former telecom minister A Raja, key accused in the 2G spectrum scam on Friday landed in his home state of Tamil Nadu to a hero`s welcome.
This is Raja’s first home visit since his arrest on February 02, 2011. Hundreds of cheerful DMK workers were present in Chennai airport to welcome Raja.
At the Chennai airport about the DMK leader was given a hero`s welcome by hundreds of ecstatic DMK workers.
At the airport, slogan-shouting and folk numbers played by a band greeted the MP from Nilgiris. The supporters wore T-shirts with pro-Raja slogans and carrying the picture of party leader MK Stalin.
"Raja had conquered Tihar jail", read the slogans, apparently referring to his incarceration and release from the Delhi prison where he was lodged after he was arrested by CBI.
A visibly happy 49-year old Raja, clad in a white dhoti and fullarm shirt, waved at his supporters before driven straight to the party headquarters from the airport to meet DMK patriarch M Karunanidhi.
At party headquarters he was received with bursting of crackers. Karunanidhi gave emotional welcome to Raja by calling him as a young brother.
"It is like an elder brother meeting his younger brother after a year," 89-year old Karunanidhi told reporters after the 10-minute meeting with
On his days in prison, Raja said he had read and re-read Karunanidhi`s books which had made him stronger and prepared him to face any adversity and come out clean.
Raja`s Lok Sabha constituency meanwhile is gearing up to accord him a big reception when he goes there on July 10.
A Delhi court had on Thursday allowed Raja to visit Tamil Nadu between June 8 and June 30 accepting his plea.
The court had earlier while granting him bail on May 15 imposed certain conditions, including that he would not visit his home state without its prior permission.
Raja had sought the court`s permission also on the ground that the trial proceedings would not be undertaken from June 9 to June 30 owing to summer vacation.
Raja resigned as minister Nov 14, 2010 in the wake of a Comptroller and Auditor General report that his 2008 decision to allocate 2G spectrum on a first-come-first-served basis had caused the exchequer a presumptive loss of Rs.1.76 lakh crore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India