Finance Ministry nod for institute for peace, development
New Delhi: A proposed institute to be set up
in the national capital in collaboration with UNESCO for
promotion of peace and sustainable development in the
subcontinent Monday got the approval of Finance Ministry.
The Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) under the Finance
Ministry gave its nod for establishment of Mahatma Gandhi
Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development
The government will invest Rs 100 crore while UNESCO will
put in USD 5 lakh (Rs 2.5 crore) for setting up the
The UNESCO in October last year had given its approval to
India`s proposal to set up a world-class institute.
The UNESCO Category-I Institute will foster a culture of
peace through education and promote sustainable economic and
social development and respect for human rights. It will work
in several areas, including global warming and
It will do research on Gandhian thoughts on social
justice, equity and peace.
At present, there are 11 UNESCO Category-I institutes and
most of them are located in developed countries.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!