Findings of Verma Committee sent to Law Commission: Govt
New Delhi: The recommendations the Verma committee set up to suggest changes in the law in the aftermath of the Delhi gangrape incident have been forwarded to the Law Commission which is examining the issue of electoral reforms in its entirety, the government said today.
"The recommendations of the three-member committee headed by Justice J S Verma on electoral reforms alongwith observation of the Election Commission of India`s thereon have been forwarded to the Law Commission of India, which is already examining the issue of electoral reforms in its entirety," Law Minister Ashwini Kumar Kumar said.
He said the Law Commission has been requested to consider the issue after taking into consideration the reports of various committees in the past, views of the Election Commission and other stake holders and suggest comprehensive measures for changes in the law.
The Commission has been asked by the government to give its suggestions by April this year, Kumar said in a written reply in Lok Sabha.
"The Law Commission has been requested to give concrete suggestions by April this year. On receipt of the recommendation of the Law Commission, matter will be further examined in consultation with the stake holders," Kumar said in his written reply to the Lok Sabha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars