Fine insufficient deterrent for drunken drivers: Court
New Delhi: Expressing concern over rise in cases of drunken driving and observing imposition of fine alone is not acting as sufficient deterrent, a Delhi court has ordered to arrest forthwith a man found guilty of drunken driving to serve 10 days in jail.
The order was passed by Additional Sessions Judge Anju
Bajaj Chandna on an appeal by a man sentenced to 10 days in jail for drunken driving, who pleaded that he should be let off with fine only.
"Keeping in view the rise of such offences in the society
and further that imposition of fine has not been sufficient
deterrent for such offenders, I am not inclined to interfere
with the order of sentence so passed by Metropolitan
Magistrate," the ASJ said, upholding a magisterial court`s
order awarding a 10-day jail term to the man.
Kumar, a resident of North West Delhi, had moved the
court of ASJ challenging the order of the metropolitan
magistrate sentencing him to ten days in jail and a fine of Rs
500 under section 185 (drunken driving) of the Motor Vehicles
Act. His licence was also suspended for an year.
Even as he pleaded guilty before the Metropolitan
Magistrate, he appealed that he should be let off only with
"I maintain the sentence imposed by the Ld
Metropolitan Magistrate as I find no illegality. Appellant
is taken into custody to serve the sentence," the ASJ said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery