Finish phase 1 of coastal radar net by Oct: Antony
New Delhi: Defence Minister A K Antony on Thursday asked the Navy and the Coast Guard to complete the first phase of the coastal radar network by October to track the movement of suspicious vessels into Indian maritime boundary.
After the 26/11 attacks, the minister has held several meetings with the sea-guarding agencies and other stakeholders to plug the gaps in country`s maritime security.
Reviewing the status of coastal security, Antony directed that first phase of the Coastal Radar Network, on both the west and east coast should be completed in the next two months and that he would himself visit some locations very soon, a Defence Ministry statement said.
The network is an important component of the coastal security mechanism which will ensure monitoring and identification of maritime traffic, it said.
Antony also reviewed the time schedules of supply of Fast Interceptor Crafts, implementation of National Command Control Communication and Intelligence Network and Vessels and Air Traffic Management System on the east coast.
He stressed that the government was fully-committed to modernise the Navy and Coast Guard as well as assist state governments to undertake any challenges to our coastal security.
He said another coastal security review meeting would be held immediately after the forthcoming Parliament session ending on September 7.
Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma, Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma, Secretary (Defence Production) Shekhar Agarwal, Coast Guard Chief Vice Admiral M P Muralidharan, Joint Secretary (Navy) Ramsubhag Singh were present in the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Scorpene data leak unintentional, navy will address all concerns: Parrikar
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: India Red crush India Green by 219 runs
- UEFA Europa League Draw: Groups, Fixtures, Top clashes – All you need to know!
- Beware! If you are woman and using elevator alone - WATCH Video
- Power Series Conclave on 'Make in India' organised by The Dollar Business on Aug 24