‘FIR against Cong leaders a political vendetta’
Lucknow: The Congress today said the filing of an FIR against its leaders in connection with a scuffle with Samajwadi Party youth wing supporters at Rahul Gandhi`s rally in Uttar Pradesh was an act of political vendetta.
Talking to reporters here, Congress Legislature Party Leader in the UP Assembly Pramod Tewari, who is also named in the FIR, defended the party activists` action of forcibly stopping SP protesters at the Gandhi`s rally in Phulpur.
"The action against an aggressor, a charger and a trespasser in defence of our leader is not a crime in the eyes of the law and the FIR lodged against the Congress leaders, including Central ministers, is an act of political vendetta,"
"At that point of time there was no method to ascertain that those who intruded into the prohibited area meant no harm.
"Going by the threat perception to Gandhi our main concern was his security," Tewari said.
He said the law provided the right to defend oneself as well as any other person.
Tewari said filing of cases against the Congress leaders clearly indicated involvement of some people in the ruling party and the authorities.
He questioned why those who indulged in the illegal act and others who were with the trespassers were let off and no action was taken against those who allowed them to reach there.
To a question, he asked why there had been a security breach in the programme of which the state police had full knowledge.
An FIR was registered yesterday against Union Ministers Jitin Prasada, R P N Singh and Tiwari in connection with a scuffle with SP youth wing supporters at the venue of Gandhi`s rally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir