Fire alarm in Mumbai-Chennai flight, 30 injured
Mumbai: Panic gripped a Chennai-bound Jet
Airways flight carrying 153 passengers after a fire alarm in
the cockpit went off when the plane was on the taxiway for
takeoff tonight and 30 of them were injured during evacuation
by emergency chutes.
As there was a sudden surge of passengers when they were
being evacuated using chutes, 30 of them received injuries
and bruises with three of them suffering fractures, a Mumbai
International Airport Limited(MIAL) spokesperson said. There were some reports that a few passengers jumped
from the aircraft and sustained injuries while there was a
chaos when passengers rushed to slide down the chutes.
Fifteen persons were taken to Nanavati hospital in
ambulances for further treatment after receiving first aid at
the airport. Some of them were reported to have suffered
A full emergency was declared at the Mumbai Airport and
Fire Tenders were rushed immediately to the spot.
A Jet statement said the airplane commander proceeded to
declare a precautionary emergency although there were no
visible traces of fire.
"The commander onboard Jet Airways flight 9W 2302
Mumbai-Chennai was informed of an indication of an LH engine
fire. Although there was no visible trace of a fire, the
commander proceeded to declare a precautionary emergency," the
All passengers were deplaned safely and a thorough
inspection of the engine was carried out, it added.
The captain deployed chutes for emergency evacuation, a
Jet spokesperson said, adding all passengers have been
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble