Fire alarm system yet to be installed in trains
New Delhi: The fire in Tamil Nadu Express was the fourth such incident since last year but there are no effective measures including installation of fire and smoke detection alarms in trains.
The fire claimed 32 lives including six women and three children.
Though the Railways launched a pilot project installing fire alarm system in Bhubaneswar Rajdhani two years ago, the system could not be replicated in other trains.
However, since the system gives false alarm even if passengers smoke in coaches, some modifications are required.
The technical specification of the fire alarm system is being reviewed and some modification is in the process on the basis of the initial trial report, said sources in Railways.
It costs about Rs 35 lakh to install the fire alarm system in a train.
On steps taken by Railways to check recurrence of fire mishaps, officials said several measures were being adopted including fire retardant furnishing materials in coaches.
There are also provisions for installing fire barrier and thermic lock in vestibule doors to delay the spread of fire. Fire retardant cables and multi-tier electrical protection systems are also being provided to prevent incidents of fire due to electrical defects.
Three coaches of Mumbai-Delhi Rajdhani Express caught fire near Ratlam in Madhya Pradesh on April 18, 2011. The coaches were removed from the train, carrying nearly 900 passengers, and the fire was put out and no passenger was injured.
New Delhi-Patna Rajdhani Express` generator coach caught fire near outskirts in New Delhi Railway Station in July, 2011. However, no one was injured.
Seven persons were burnt to death in November, 2011 when coach number B1 of Howrah-Dehradun express train caught fire. Later, the fire spread to coach B2. Both coaches were badly burnt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared