Fire cracker sales dip in metros
New Delhi: Sales of fire crackers in the country`s metros have declined by around 25 percent this season due to a campaign launched by over 150 schools, a survey said on Thursday.
As part of the survey, conducted by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham) between Oct 1 and 30, over a thousand children were interviewed in over 150 schools in cities like Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Hyderabad and Kolkata.
"Many schoolchildren have decided to stay away from bursting crackers and instead indulge in a smoke-free and safe Diwali this year influenced by anti-cracker campaigns launched by their schools," said DS Rawat, secretary general of Assocham.
"Though, there has been a general rise of 10-15 percent in cracker prices, the decline in their demand is being majorly attributed to growing awareness amid children," added Rawat.
The survey said various activities were carried out in schools to educate and explain to the children the ill-effects of bursting fire crackers on their health as well as the environment.
"Majority of the schools have conducted `oath ceremonies` wherein students in their morning assembly prayers have vowed not to add to the growing levels of pollution around them with crackers," said the survey.
Assocham also interacted with around 200 traders, and retail and wholesale fire cracker dealers in the same cities who blamed the steep rise in the cost of fire crackers as the primary reason behind the dull business.
Illegal imports of fire crackers from China are further hurting the profit margins of the traders.
The domestic fire cracker industry is estimated to be worth over Rs.1,500 crore, said the commerce chamber.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'