Fire in goods train disrupts Lucknow-Howrah rail route
Lucknow: More than 16 bogies were gutted when a major fire broke out on Friday on a goods train carrying petrol and headed for Gonda from here, officials said.
The fire was noticed near the Jarwal railway station in Bahraich around 3 am. By the time the train was stopped, the fire had spread.
The driver of the train attempted to put on emergency brakes as a result of which some bogies of the goods train overturned. Gusty winds stoked the fire further. More than a dozen fire tenders were rushed to the site to douse the blaze, said a police officer.
Railway officials from the nearby Colonelganj railway station rushed to the site. Residents from nearby Newli Purva village also came to help.
As a result of the incident, the schedule of more than 40 trains on the busy Lucknow-Howrah route has been disrupted. Two trains were cancelled, while seven trains have been diverted, said a railway official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Jayalalithaa's mortal remains taken to Rajaji Hall for people to pay last respects
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what