Firing at Indian fishermen cannot be justified: Pranab
Chennai: With Sri Lankan Navy allegedly
killing two Tamil Nadu fishermen in the last 10 days, Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said the shootings cannot be
"There is no point and justification in shooting them,"
he told reporters after meeting Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and
DMK president M Karunanidhi at his residence here to discuss
"Naturally the Chief Minister is worried," Mukherjee,
accompanied by DMK MP TR Baalu and TNCC president KV
Urging the Sri Lankan Navy to desist from firing at the
Indian fishermen, he said if they had done something wrong
(like crossing International Maritime Boundary Line), they
should have been apprehended.
"I am told that in the last 10 days two fishermen (from
Tamil Nadu) have been killed. We have good relations with Sri
Lanka and are helping them," he said.
He said he had assured Karunanidhi that he would take up
the matter with the foreign ministry, which in turn would
raise it with Lankan authorities to ensure such incidents did
In a fresh incident of attack on Tamil Nadu fishermen in
Palk Straits, one person was killed on January 22 when Sri
Lankan Navy allegedly tied a fisherman by a rope and threw him
into the sea. Another one was killed on January 12 when the
Lankan Navy opened fire at three fishermen, who put out to sea
from Jagadapattinnam near Pudukottai.
India had reacted strongly to killing of Indian fishermen
in firing by the Sri Lankan Navy on January 12, saying such
incidents have no "justification" and called on authorities in
the island nation to "desist" from use of force.
Tamil Nadu fishermen have complained of frequent attacks
by the Island Republic`s Navy, prompting DMK, an UPA coalition
partner and other political parties in the state to demand an
end to such attacks by taking up the issue strongly with Sri
Mukherjee is here on a one-day visit to attend some
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read