First Anuj Bidve Scholar at Lancaster in Oct
London: The first Indian student awarded the Anuj Bidve Memorial Scholarship will arrive at Lancaster University shortly to join a course from the forthcoming academic session starting September-October.
The scholarship was established in memory of murdered Indian student Anuj Bidve, who was a post-graduate student of Microelectronics at the university.
The scholarship is to study on the MSc course in the university`s Engineering department.
A university official told PTI today that the first Anuj Bidve Scholar had not been chosen yet, but several applications were being considered. The selection process is expected to be completed over the summer.
The scholarship will fund a student graduating from the University of Pune (as Bidve did).
Announcing the scholarship earlier this year, Lancaster University`s Vice-Chancellor Prof Mark E Smith said that the scholarship, which covers course fees and accommodation, had been agreed in line with the wishes of the Bidve family.
He said: "The scholarship is a fitting and lasting way of remembering Anuj, who was an outstanding student."
The university had taken several steps after Bidve was shot dead by Kiaran `Psycho` Stapleton on December 26.
It held a memorial service and hosted Bidve`s parents when they visited Britain to take their son`s body back to India earlier this year.
Some of Bidve`s Indian friends at the university appeared in court during the five-week trial at the Manchester Crown Court that yesterday returned a `guilty` verdict.
Stapleton was today sentenced to life imprisonment, and must serve at least 30 years in jail before being considered for parole.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory