First Indian seaplane service launched
Mumbai: Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel Monday launched `Jal Hans` - the country`s first seaplane - at Juhu aerodrome here, to improve connectivity and tourism in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal.
"This is the first time seaplane operations are being introduced in India. The scheme (aims to give) impetus to the tourism infrastructure in the islands," said an official statement.
The service will be operationalised under a memorandum of understanding signed between the Andaman and Nicobar administration and the state-owned Pawan Hans Helicopters Ltd (PHHL).
"The operations will be on a 50:50 loss/profit sharing basis between PHHL and Andaman and Nicobar administration," the statement said.
Jal Hans, which will be operated through a Cessna 208A that has a capacity of eight passengers and two pilots, will connect capital Port Blair with Havelock Island and subsequently other islands in the North Andamans to promote tourism.
"The service will connect Port Blair with Havelock initially," Civil Aviation Secretary Dr. S.N.A. Zaidi said.
In Port Blair, it is proposed to operate from the airport while in Havelock and Diglipur, it will operate from a waterdrome.
Describing the launch as a dream come true, Patel said the government plans to expand the services to most of the popular islands and coastal destinations.
The statement added that seaplane operations will also be introduced in the Lakshadweep, Goa and Orissa among other places, and that the government has allowed 100 percent foreign direct investment (FDI) in this sector.
"The centre is permitting 100 percent foreign direct investment in this sector and service providers like Pawan Hans should float a subsidiary to run a fleet of such seaplanes," Patel said.
Jal Hans is fitted with modern navigation features. It can travel up to 250 km per hour and can land on most calm waters. It can also land on ground using the wheels configuration.
Facilities for ferrying passengers from the shore to the pontoons, sanitisation of the waterdrome before take-off and after landing, speed boats with a capacity of 10 passengers, a standby inflatable boat and one floating jetty (pontoon) will be provided at each location.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh