First Mercy Ravi award presented to Sheila Dixit
Kottayam: Union Defence Minister A K Antony
today presented the first Woman of Substance award to Delhi
Chief Minister Sheila Dixit for her "meritorious service to
Speaking at the function, Antony said her contribution
towards women`s welfare had been approved by all people
irrespective of caste, colour or creed. "She created history
through hat trick and became Chief Minister thrice," he said.
The award has been instituted by Mercy Ravi Foundation, in
memory of Congress leader late Mercy Ravi, wife of Union
Minister for Civil Aviation and Indian Overseas Affairs
Vayalar Ravi. It carries a cash prize of Rs one lakh, a
memento and a scroll of honour.
After accepting the award, Dixit contributed the amount
to the Foundation.
In her acceptance speech,Dixit said the Delhi government
was ready to offer necessary funds to other states to
implement welfare schemes for emancipation of women. She also
said 58 per cent of the seats in the March 2012 Delhi
Municipal Corporation poll would be set apart for women.
Claiming that Delhi has witnessed progress in various
fields, including education, health and also seen a better
bureaucracy, she said people of Kerala also contributed their
mite for the present development as many people from the state
are working in various fields in the national capital.
Dixit said 58 per cent of Delhi Municiapal Corporation`s
budget is spent each year for the social sector, including
welfare of children and women. A sum of Rs one lakh has been
earmarked for girls who completed 12th standard to enable them
pursue higher education or for meeting their marriage
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Heavy rain in China kills at least 24, millions evacuated
- Defence Minister Parrikar leaves for Chennai to monitor ops of missing IAF AN 32
- Pakistan has been crying for Kashmir ever since independence: NPP
- Harshvardhan is more hardworking than me which is very surprising, says Anil Kapoor
- Three-year-old boy, rescued from a borewell in Gwalior, declared dead by doctors